Sunday, June 28, 2009

I Used to Vote Republican

In my first presidential election, I voted for Gerald Ford. In 1980, I voted for Jimmy Carter because I was afraid that Ronald Reagan was nuts. In 1984, I voted for Reagan because I thought things were going pretty well for the country. That was the last time I voted for a Republican for President.

By 1988, I came to the conclusion that a rising tide did not necessarily lift all boats. More importantly, I concluded that most of the people who were preaching the virtues of trickle down economics really didn't care whether anything trickled down or not.

It's like my Daddy used to tell me: Democrats and Republicans are all in politics trying to grab a piece of the pie, but with Democrats, the pie gets split more ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment