Friday, November 7, 2008

Scum v. Dumb

Could Sarah Palin really be so poorly informed that she does not know that North America is made up of Canada, the United States, and Mexico? Based on the Katie Couric interview, I could believe it. On the other hand, when I did some googling, I found sources that include Greenland, the islands of the Caribbean, and parts of Central America within North America so maybe the answer is not really so obvious.

I am frankly disgusted by the weasels in the McCain campaign. They deserve scorn if they are just trying to cover up for the failures of their candidate and themselves. They deserve even greater scorn if they really knew that Palin was that stupid and they did nothing to stop her from coming within a heartbeat of the Presidency.

2 comments:

  1. Campbell Brown has the right idea here. I don't know if I believe that Palin didn't know who was in NAFTA or that Africa is a continent rather than a country. But I do know that it has nothing to do with why John McCain lost, and you're right observe that it's a really weaselly thing to do on the part of whatever aids are trying to blame her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t pretend to know the scope of Palin’s knowledge of geography, but she impressed me as being remarkably incurious about the world outside the one she knew. When it was first suggested that Alaska’s proximity to Russia gave Palin foreign policy experience, I thought it was a joke. I think she could have gotten away with saying that she would have to get up to speed on international issues as her focus had been on administering the state of Alaska. When she repeatedly embraced the “proximity claim,” I thought it was very scary because it told me that she did not think she needed to know anything about the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete